An Adventure with a Taterbug!

Monday, July 8, 2013

Golden Birthday!

Hello, world!  Miss me?  Can you believe that it has been 5 days since last we spoke?  I know, I know.  I have been a cleaning fool these last few days in preparation of the Taterbug’s birthday party yesterday.  Plus, the 4th of July fell in there as well so we had to get our firecracker on.

First off I wanted to say a happy 8th birthday to my Taterbug.  I can’t believe she is 8 already.  She was so excited that today was here golden birthday.  What is a golden birthday?  That is when you turn the age of the numeral you were born.  For example, she turned 8 today on July 8th.  My birthday is November 15th so I had my golden birthday when I turned 15.  My friend has a little boy who just turned 1 in October and he has to wait until his 31st birthday to celebrate his golden birthday.

Want to know a little about the party yesterday?  Great, cause I planned to tell you one way or another.  I mailed out the invites 2½ weeks ago and asked that the attendees RSVP just like always.  Since her birthday is so close to the 4th of July, a lot of people are usually out of town and can’t make it.  I received 4 RSVP’s so figured I would have about 12 kids show up.  Was I wrong!  She had 24 kids come to the party and their parents.  Needless to say, there were quite a few people roaming around my yard, carport, house, driveway, pool and trampoline.  I swear, it looked like one of those clown cars with the people piling out.

The word has gotten out about my world-famous rum punch and all the parents that were first time attenders kept saying that they heard about how good the punch was.  Guess I know a few things about rum punch!  Here is the recipe and feel free to modify as needed and make it your own:

            2 cups Malibu Coconut rum or your favorite coconut flavored rum
            1 cup Bacardi Select or your favorite dark rum
            1 cup of Meyer’s Dark Rum or another of your favorite dark rums
            1 gallon of Orange Juice
            1 large can of Pineapple Juice
            1 quart of Cranberry Juice
            1 quart of Cranberry Juice poured into Solo cups and frozen
            ½ bottle of Grenadine Syrup

Freeze cranberry juice into 5 cups and use to keep punch cold during party. By freezing the juice you don’t dilute the good stuff by using ice.  You can also freeze it in a Jell-O mold and add fresh fruits or berries to the mold to make it pretty!  Next pour all the other ingredients together and enjoy.  I use a large lemonade dispenser with a spout to serve this out of but I have use a champagne fountain before and it worked well.  The only suggestion I would give if using the fountain is use OJ with little to no pulp or else it will be a bear to clean up when it is empty.  Also, if going this route, no need to freeze the cranberry juice, just add it into the mix.  Serves quite a few drinkers especially on a hot July day!

I think everyone had a good time and I know the Bug did because she kept saying thank you over and over to me.  Once everyone left and we were able to just relax in our jammies, she took the time to go through her loot and did she score!  She got some great outfits, PJs, toys, art supplies, jewelry and a Jerky Gun. 

“A jerky gun?” you ask.  Yep, my girl loves her some jerky!  One day when we were eating breakfast at our favorite neighborhood joint, a guy sitting next to us was bragging about his new jerky gun.  This piped the Bug’s interest because she LOVES jerky!  The thought of making her own jerky at home was more than she could imagine.  So much so she started having a conversation with this guy about the type of jerky he makes and how long it takes and how good it tastes, etc.  You get the picture.

Skip ahead about 3 months and surprise! She is now the proud owner of her own Jerky Gun!  The problem is that when she opened it, she didn’t remember the whole jerky discussion with the guy and didn’t react as excitedly as I figured she would.  Later, after everyone left, I asked her why she didn’t like it and she said that she was afraid of people thinking it was a boy thing and not a girl thing.

Huh?  What in the world is she talking about?  I guess when you are turning 8; it is all about being a pre-teen girl and not being associated with anything babyish or boyish.  In fact, when we went to Baton Rouge last weekend, she was totally embarrassed to be seen with her Disney Princess suitcase and made me carry it because she was too old for it.  She even said that she was old enough to have an adult suitcase and would like to have purple poka-dots on it if at all possible.  Needless to say, I was scurrying around looking for a suitcase for her birthday and I found this Gloria Vanderbilt set at Kmart.  She loved it, THANK GOD!

To finish off her birthday extravaganza, we are heading out to Pensacola, Florida for a few days in the sun.  Hopefully the rain will stay away and we will get to enjoy the pool and beach.  If not, as long as I am with my Bug, we will have a good time.

I will write about our adventures when I get back on Thursday.  Until then, be good and each time you sip a fruity drink….think of me!

Love ya,
Kristen

No comments:

Post a Comment