An Adventure with a Taterbug!

Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Times Have Changed

“You need a little bit of insanity to do great things.”

&

“My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.”

- Henry Rollins


Can I Call You Hank?
Hi, ya world!  I felt like today was a good day for another quote but couldn't find one that fit my mood.  When I ran across these two, I knew they were meant to be shared.  They are by musician, writer, jouralist, publisher, actor, radio host, comedian and acitivist Henry Rollins.  If you are a fan of the TV show, Sons of Anacrary, you may recognize him.

You might remember him from his first stab at mainstream music back in the 80’s when he was the front man for the punk rock band, Black Flag.  After they broke up, he started Rollins Band and they got pretty popular in the mid-90’s.  Though neither band were my cup of tea, I lean more toward top 40, classic country or whatever the Bug lets me listen to, I knew him by site but not by name. 
Henry with the Rollins Band

After picking these two quotes, I wanted to see who the heck Henry Rollins was before I link his name with mine.  I mean, what if he was some Nazi General that was found hording millions of stolen artifacts from the war.  Not an association I would want, I tell ya!

So, what is a girl to do?  Go to Wikipedia of course!  I just love Wiki, but who doesn’t, right?  I am that girl that used to love reading the encyclopedia that my mother bought one volume at a time at Winn-Dixie.  These puppies would site on a treasured spot high above it all in my sister’s room.  I would have to climb on her bed to get the volume I wanted to read.  Keep in mind, I don’t think we ever got an entire set because we missed a week’s because we went on vacation or shopped at another grocery store.  I think it was V that we were missing and who wants to know anything about volcanos, Vermont or vasectomies anyway.
Who Didn't Have a Set of These?

I never considered myself a nerd but I did love to read the encyclopedia.  I also loved to read the new phonebook when it came out.  Now that I think about, I might have been a slight nerd after all.  It was always fun to look of the names of people you knew or boys you liked in addition to see if there were any new people in the book with your same last name.  Maybe my fascination with the phonebook is because we never had our number published so we were never in the book.

I can’t tell you the last time I used a printed copy of an encyclopedia or phonebook.  Wonder what libraries did with all their old tomes?

Love ya,
Kristen

No comments:

Post a Comment