An Adventure with a Taterbug!

Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Humping Day

Hello, world!  Happy humping day!  What?!?!?  Did she just type that?  Yep!  A few years back, on a Wednesday morning, the Taterbug told me happy humping day.  When I explained that it is "hump" day and not "humping" she proceeded to tell me that it makes more sense to say humping since you are jumping to the next day.  Can't argue with that I guess.

My Leah

As I mentioned before, I have have a second daughter, Leah.  She joined our family back in May of this year and I don't know how we lived without her.  Anyone that knows me knows that I'm not much of an animal person.  Well, I am, but not one that thinks they are human and should wear stupid outfits or go to the store with you.  I mean, really folks, get a friend if you need that kind of relationship.  Anyway, I digress.

The Bug likes to go to the poor people zoo AKA Petco and look at the animals.  We usually spend about 20 minutes there and leave knowing that we can always come back tomorrow to visit.  This one Monday we went into the store and stopped at the cats to say hi and make meowing sounds to them.  There had to be about 5 cats in various colors and ages including a little kitten that had obviously hit the catnip a little too much.  Leah was the cutest and nicest one there.  She just wanted us to love on her through the cage and her fur was soooooo soft!  She was a little over a year old and the paper said that she doesn't like to be with other animals.  Me neither!

Her Favorite Thing To Do - Sleep!
Anyhow, the Bug started her typical pleading for us to get an animal and I said no as usual.  You see, Taterbug is scared of dust bunnies so I knew she would freak out and die if we brought an animal into the house.  Fish are a big step for her!  After telling her no, no, no a thousand times, I told her that we couldn't have an animal anyway because of the motion detectors on our home security system.  She said I needed to call "the man" to find out if there was a way to turn them off.  I said fine, I will tomorrow.

Next day, she was still harping on getting Leah and demanded once again that I call "the man" to find out about the alarms.  I did the typical scare tactics by saying that if we got Leah she would be responsible for cleaning the litter box and feeding her each day.  Of course the answer was a big, "YES!"

So that kitty really was so cute and I really was starting to wiggle once I got to the office.  I forgot all about calling "the man" about the alarm but I did call Petco to see if Leah was still available.  I spoke to a really nice lady and she said that she was available but that she had been there for awhile and she was afraid that the LASPCA would take her back.  You see she was a rescue that Petco houses for the humane society.  I didn't know that and that helped make my decision a little easier.  I didn't want to just buy a pet from the pet store.  I figured that if we were going to get one, I wanted it to be a rescue.  Come to find out, that is all their dogs and cats.  Cool.  Best part was she was all fixed and had a microchip.  Needless to say I asked the lady if it was possible to hold her until I could come that evening to pick her up.  She said most definitely.

First Night Home
So after a quick run to Walmart at lunch to buy a carrier, I go and get the Bug from her dad and the first thing she asks me is if I call "the man."  First, who the heck is "the man" she keeps talking about?!?!?  I was honest and told her that no, I forgot and needless to say, she starts a major meltdown.  I'm talking snot bubbles, tears streaming, face red meltdown.  I told her that we would have to wait a few days and she starts crying that Leah will go to another family if we don't get her.  I ask her if she would like to go visit her, all the while knowing that the carrier is in the back of the SUV and she hasn't seen it.  She said yes so we drive up to Petco and I ask her if she could carry something for me.  I open up the back of the SUV and hand her the carrier.  She looks at it funny, trying to figure out what it is when all of a sudden I see the light bulb go off and I go from being the worst mother on earth to the rock star that I am!
Stinky Kitty

Skip forward a few months and Leah has become my other daughter.  Not sure how we lived without her but glad to have her.  It took a couple of weeks before Taterbug worked up the courage to hold her and now they are best buds.

Couple problem we had at first was that the food they said to give her gave her some serious gas and she smelled awful!  I switched her food and it is much better now.  She is finally getting over her urge to wake me at 3a.m. by meowing into my face.  She does, however, love to invade your personal space and sit directly on your chest if you are laying down.  And those little paws can grind into your chest so hard that it makes you wonder how on earth something so small can hurt so much. 

Her favorite thing to do is sleep and her favorite toy is my slipper.  I swear that girl has a foot fetish because she loves sticking her face into shoes.  My girls are best friends and I love them dearly.  Glad to have my second daughter to keep me company when the Bug is away.

Love ya,
Kristen

PS: Can't wait to come up with a great costume for Halloween!  NOT!

No comments:

Post a Comment