An Adventure with a Taterbug!

Friday, July 19, 2013

Where Does it Go?

Hi, ya, world!  Happy Friday!  Know what makes it event better...today is payday!  I have to ask myself, though, where does all the money go?  I got paid via direct deposit this morning and logged into my checking account to pay some bills and after it was all done, I spent 72% of my salary?!?!?  The sad part is that I just paid stuff two weeks ago when I got paid.

Throwin' It Away!
I don't consider myself a spendthrift or even an extravagant person.  In fact, I am down right cheap at times.  I just amazes me how fast money can go out the window.  Talking about windows, about a year ago I had to get a new A/C unit shortly after I bought the house.  Good news is that when I bought the house it came with a home warranty as an inclusion and was paid by the seller.  So very happy about that because the unit only cost me $75 and the old one was over 18 years old.

Shortly after that, I heard a radio spot for a local company that said they would do a free home energy audit for your house.  Now I know there is no such thing as a free lunch.  Heck, I work in marketing for pity sake!  But I figured I would have them come out and check things out and then I would just say no to everything they tried to sell me. 

Sample of Paper Backed Insulation

This company was really different in that the guy was willing to come over at night after I got off work so it was very convenient to my schedule.  He was also the owner of the company who just happened to be over my way because he was leaving on vacation the next morning and needed to do a Sam's run to fill up on food before leaving for the beach.  He also was not really trying to sell me anything.  He said that my windows were great (newly installed when I bought the house), my A/C was great, my doors and sills were tight (sounds kind of kinky, doesn't it?!?!) and for the most part everything was in great shape.  Unfortunately, my insulation in the attic was kind of deflated, which I knew from the home inspection.

Sample of Pumped Insulation
So, I asked for him to give it to me straight...how much was he going to try to milk me to fix it.  Surprising, he said that he would recommend doing the spray insulation and not the foam spray because it is cheaper, quicker and for the size of my house and all the other good points he found, would make more sense.  After some measuring and some counting, he came back to me with a figure of less then $500 and he would throw in some other things like boxes over my lights, etc. that would run about $200 more.  I asked when they could do it and how long it would take before I signed on the dotted line.

Now before you accuse me of jumping the gun, I had already gotten a price from someone else to do paper insulation and it would have run about $750 and spray foam would have run about $1,800.  This was sounding too good to be true and I was cautiously optimistic.  He asked how did Saturday sound and I said, "Book it, Dan-O!"

Two guys showed up on Saturday on-time and were very clean and professional.  They got down to work right away and were done in less then two hours.  Additionally, they swept up after themselves and even asked if they should take their shoes off before entering the house.  Who does that? 

Round and Round, the Dials Spin!
The guys said that I should see a noticeable difference in my electric bill and it should be reduced by at least 25%.  That would a nice since I was running close to $200 a month in electric in the summer months and about $120 in the winter.  Low and behold, it was a big difference between the combination of a new A/C unit and the insulation.  This month's bill was the highest it has been since last June.  Ready for this....$60.21!  Yep, you read that right!  I have A/C set on 72 when we are home and 75 when we are gone, all last month I had the pool pump running 24/7 and the Bug has a terrible habit of leaving every light on in the house. 

Let's face it, it is hotter then you know what in Louisiana in June-August.  Heck, it can be pretty darn hot in December!  I have been super pleased with my $500 investment because it has saved me 300%.  I know that the improvement is not entirely from the insulation and that the A/C had a lot to do with that but I have to think that even if I only did the insulation it would have been a major improvement.

Why do I tell you all this?  1) I needed something to write about, 2) you must hear the same ads on your radio because everyone is going green and 3) don't come in with a preconceived notion that you aren't going to buy and then feel guilty because you do "cave."

Love ya,
Kristen


No comments:

Post a Comment