An Adventure with a Taterbug!

Monday, July 22, 2013

Long, Lazy Weekend

Hello, world!  I am so lazy!  Typically, I am running non-stop all the time with little to no down time.  It is a running joke around the office that when I am asked how my weekend was, I typically can list about a dozen things that were done or accomplished in two short days. 

A Little Blue

Not this weekend!  The Taterbug is spending the week with her dad and left Saturday morning.  Let’s just say that I was not a happy camper to be without her for any extended period of time so you could say I was a little blue.  What did I do?  Well, I stayed in my jammies from Friday night until 2pm Sunday.  Yep, you read that right…me, stayed home and just vegged in front of the TV watching the Hallmark channel.  You know what that is, right?  That is the single woman’s worst enemy.  Plot: Every leading lady faces some tragedy or adversity, loses the guy, meets a (long-lost boyfriend/new guy in town/well to do business man) and lives happily ever after.  Yeah, right!

I didn’t feel like running out to get groceries until Sunday afternoon so I didn’t eat much on Saturday.  I decided I wanted some comfort food but didn’t want to make anything too exciting.  I had some leftover hot dog buns, milk and eggs so I decided to make bread pudding.  I typically like to have raisins in it but didn’t have any so I improvised.  Here is what I used to make the bread pudding:

  • 2 cups milk
  • 3 large eggs
  • 3 tablespoons cinnamon
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 cup sliced almonds
  • 6 hot dog buns
  • Course sugar
  • Butter

Preheat oven to 350°, spray baking dish with Pam and set aside.  Beat milk, eggs, cinnamon and sugar together well.  Add torn up buns to the mixture, stirring often.  Add in almonds then pour into prepared baking dish.  Sprinkle a generous coating of course sugar then add a couple dabs of butter to the top of the dish.  Place in pre-heated oven for 45 minutes and that’s about it.  It should be very soupy when you put it in the oven.  If not, add more milk and make sure all the bread has absorbed the egg mixture.
Colored Sugar

I had this for lunch and dinner on Saturday and again for breakfast Sunday.  I’m not proud.  It was good, though.  It looked good too because the only course sugar I could find was rainbow colored and it added a happy color to an otherwise drab dessert.  I promise to do a much better job of taking photos of my adventures.  I didn't even think of snapping any of this...sorry! 

What types of goodies do you like to eat when you are feeling a little blue?  I guess bread pudding always reminds me of my grandmother because when she wasn’t bringing a pie to Sunday dinner, you could bet she would have either bread pudding or fig squares in the back of her van.  I would love to have her recipe for fig squares.  They were so good and she would get the fresh figs when she went to visit her in-laws in the country.  They would melt in your mouth they were so good!


Kitty had a lazy weekend, too 
 Love ya,
Kristen

No comments:

Post a Comment