An Adventure with a Taterbug!

Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Why Not Pie?

Hello, world!  How are you this Wednesday morning?  I am just peachy because it is my Friday and we are getting off of work at 3pm today in honor of the 4th of July holiday tomorrow.

I love holidays like the 4th of July because there is no expectation of gifts, both given and received, no mandatory dressing up nor any expectations of doing anything but relaxing and eating.  My ultimate favorite holiday is Thanksgiving because it is the epitome of eating and lazyness!  Plus, it is the kick-off to pie season.  Yes, you read that right...pie season!

I am a lover of all things sweet but especially pie.  My grandmother didn't cook much because my grandfather was king of the kitchen.  He was a little Cajun man from the small town of Moreauville, LA and loved to cook.  He won my heart the first time he made me stuffed mushrooms.  He had me at mushrooms.  Anyway, I digress.

My grandmother could make pies of any persuasion and her crust was extra flaky.  I found out that I was allergic to lemons my freshmen year of collage and I was devastated because I loved her lemon meringue pie and knew the days of eating it were over.  What did she do?  She made me a meringue pie cause that was the part I loved the best.  Ever had one?  DELISH!  Bake a pie crust, fill it with egg whites and bake again.  Heaven I tell ya!

Me and Nana in RI 1973

I always said that I should petition congress to make a pie appreciation holiday where everyone was required to eat pie in non-pie months.  Why is it that people only eat pie in November and December?  Why not in April or July?  Why is the poor pie neglected and pushed to the side so that other sweets can have their day on the table?  I think if we could get all the scientists to back us then we would have it made.  You know, a kind of Pi loves Pie kind of a holiday!  Let's do it, folks...who's with me?


Okay, I have calmed down a little and will eat a pie for dinner tonight but unfortunately it won't taste as good as the ones my Nana used to make.  I can't make the crusts as good as her so I have to use store bought.  My decorations are not as cool or the rims are not as pinched but I can't not think of her each time I have a slice of pie.

Unfortunately, I lost her when I was pregnant with the Taterbug back in 2005 and I lost my grandfather in 1998.  I think of them often and wish they were here to see how big and smart the Bug is but I also would love some stuffed mushrooms with a side of meringue pie.

Love ya, Nana and Paw-Paw!

Love ya,
Kristen

No comments:

Post a Comment